Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Purchase of Alaska


Analyze

This cartoon is about the topic of the purchase of Alaska. I know this because the hunk of ice is labeled Russian America, also known as Alaska. The cartoonist believed the purchase of Alaska was a mistake. I know this because the cartoon portrays Alaska as a hunk of ice and nothing more. Many people probably agreed, but some people could have been open-minded at the idea. In this cartoon I notice the techniques of labeling and symbolism. I see labeling in the ice chunk and the wagon carrying it, and I also see the labeled bag that the Russian man is carrying away. I see symbolism in the chunk of ice symbolizing Alaska as nothing of importance. I, unlike the cartoonist, would have been open-minded to the opportunities of purchasing Alaska. 

Citation

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/1-alaska-purchase-cartoon-granger.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment