Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Annexation of Hawaii Political Cartoon


Analyze

This cartoon is on the topic of the annexation of Hawaii. I know this because the caption says, "Uncle Sam in Hawaii". The cartoonist is in agreement with the annexation, and I know this because of how confident and powerful uncle Sam is shown on the see-saw. Others may think of this cartoon as against the issue. I know this because uncle Sam can be pictured as rude or forceful in the cartoon and the queen can be seen as frightened. In this cartoon I see the techniques of exaggeration and symbolism. I see exaggeration on uncle Sams power and weight and in the queen's size and power to resist uncle Sam. I see symbolism in the barrel of sugar cane being the see-saw, teetering between the two sides. I, unlike the cartoonist, did not agree with the annexation of Hawaii, because they could have settled the feud more peacefully.

Citation

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7129/7503158062_e0fd2bff1b_o.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment