Thursday, February 18, 2016

Open Door Policy Political Cartoon


Analyze

The cartoon is about the topic of the open door policy. The cartoonist is picturing uncle Sam as a mischievous figure in this cartoon. I know this because he looks like he has a very sly and suspicious smile. Others may see him as sneaky and have a negative view on this cartoon. I know this because I do see him has sly or sneaky in this cartoon, and it doesn't really picture him as happy or jolly at all. In this cartoon I see techniques such as labeling and symbolism used. I see the labeling on the key uncle Sam is holding and on the door to China. I also see the symbolism in the people symbolizing the other foreign countries, but I also see exaggeration in uncle Sam's size compared to the other men in the cartoon. Like the cartoonist, I see this picture as the U.S. being sly and sneaky in our ways of expanding our influence and power.

Citation

https://sites.google.com/a/ncps-k12.org/amhnews-n-koller-2011/_/rsrc/1324511429769/economic/hay-unlocks-the-doors-to-china/cartoon-of-the-open-door-policy/Screen%20Shot%202011-12-21%20at%206.49.50%20PM.png



No comments:

Post a Comment